Thursday, June 16, 2011

Invent the Future - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

My favorite quote of all time is Alan Kay: ‘In order to predict the future, you have to invent it.’ I am all about inventing the future. Decide what you want the future to be and make it happen. Because you can. Write about your future now.


My response:

This is my favorite quote, too! I have always believed that education would be my key to getting everything I wanted, and wanted to be, in life. So far, it has proven true. I have become a superintendent of schools by the age of 34, and I hope I will be a doctor of education by the age of 36. I have a great wife, family, and life, and I believe it is because I work for it.


I think this quote reminds us that Fate often needs a helping hand, and we need to be prepare to build the path to our future. I think we should never just let IT happen; rather I believe we should work to help make it happen. I love being a part of my future (as strange as that may sound), but it is the truth. I am who I am and where I am because of the work I have done.


A job well done . . . so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment