Friday, June 10, 2011

Divine Idea - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you – one that doesn’t hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a “divine idea which each of us represents” – which is yours?

My response:
When I took on the role of superintendent, I was extremely concerned about my "role". I tried really hard to figure out how to act, what to do, and how not to lose myself in the job. The best advice, and the simplest answer, was to remain true to who I am and who I want to be. I continually think about my core values and if I use them in my daily work. On good days, I know the answer is yes. On worse days, I reflect of how I lost my way.

The best I can be is a constantly improving me. I am not sure it is a 'divine' idea, but it carries me forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment