Saturday, June 4, 2011

Biggest Challenge - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday's prompt (I forgot to post it):

That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him. Where is the master who could have taught Shakespeare? Where is the master who could have instructed Franklin, or Washington, or Bacon, or Newton? . . . Shakespeare will never be made by the study of Shakespeare. Do that which is assigned you, and you cannot hope too much or dare too much. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Identify one of your biggest challenges at the moment (ie I don’t feel passionate about my work) and turn it into a question (ie How can I do work I’m passionate about?) Write it on a post-it and put it up on your bathroom mirror or the back of your front door. After 48-hours, journal what answers came up for you and be sure to evaluate them.


My response:

Biggest challenge - writing my doctoral dissertation. As a question - "how do I share the experiences and lessons learned in my first year as a superintendent for my dissertation, while working full-time to still learn how to be a good superintendent?"


I know I just need to start, even 50 words a day will add up over time. In fact, 50 words for the last year would have produced 15,000 words (or 60 more pages). I think I am afraid to be that honest and get that involved. I know once I start I will want to immerse myself until it is done. All this at the expense of time with my family? I have done this many times before, so I am concerned not to repeat my behavior, but not sure how to change it yet. Maybe start writing the dissertation when done with this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment